Monday 6 July 2009

That'll learn 'em


Dulo on Cemetery Road and it's mural wall.
About six years ago Dulo was opened, in place of the Beer Engine pub. I used to go in the 'Engine' on a Friday as I worked just round the corner at a screen printers on London Rd, a decent boozer, but the loss of that pub was overshadowed by the opening of this one. It was a fantastic place and I've had many a good night in there.
Bad news... Dulo is closing. This Friday Dulo will open to the public for the last time. I'm sure it'll be a massive night, full to the brim with laughs a plenty because Okie (the landlord) and the crew always put on a good bash.

The long wall on the side of Dulo has pretty much always been used as a mural wall, normally something do to with artist Kid Acne (if not totally his doing). He's been drafted in to do their last one - a nice simple "That'll learn 'em", Sheffield dialect for 'that will teach them'. I don't know the reason for the closure and whether this statement is relevent to that or not. I thought the two might be related as it's similar in styling to the 'You'll miss me when I'm gone' piece that 'Accers' did on the Psalter Lane Art School (before redevelopment).

Thanks for the memories Dulo, it's been grand.

2 Comments:

Hilda said...

My sympathies. It's always sad when a favorite bar, cafe or restaurant closes. Good luck to Okie and to you too — hope you find a new place that you like.

Anonymous said...

hi, is there anyway i can use this photo in my template?

by the way, nice picture =D

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.