Monday 15 June 2009

The Great Inundation (continued)



A typical sight in Sheffield today.
While I was on my holidays in sun-drenched Scotland (yes - really!) last week, Sheffield was having a bit of a re-enactment of June 2007 when low-lying parts of the city flooded with fatal consequences, fortunately it wasn't nearly as bad this time. Sheffield's not a stranger to floods though, on 11th March 1864 it was hit with the worst floods in it's history when the Dale Dyke Dam broke it's walls. It was named The Great Sheffield Flood, or The Great Inundation, as it took the lives of 270 people and ruined countless buildings.
Anyway, today was just heavy rain and few rumbles of thunder, but I had walked to work in shorts! As I was at work during the worst of it, I didn't get any pics, (and then got a lift home) so took some pics when i got home.
Unfortunately I missed a brilliant sunset that would have been a perfect contrast to such a wet day.

2 Comments:

That is the chicken said...

Nice composition...I don;t miss the rain in the UK! :D

Gerald (SK14) said...

we had a tremendous storm too yesterday and there may be more on the way.

PS You should list your blog on your profile so folk can follow through when you comment.

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.