Thursday 18 June 2009

Jessop Hospital for Women


The surviving side of Jessop Hospital as seen from Broad Lane.
After work today I was walking up to see my sister-in-law, brother and my new nephew, he had been born this morning at the Jessop Wing of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Funnily enough I had to walk past the remains of that hospital wing's namesake - the old Jessop Hospital for Women. This is where I was born, my brother was born and my sister-in-law was born.

Most of it (the later additions from the 40s and the 70s) has now been torn down, since it's closure in 2001, to make way for new University development. Below are two more images, the first is round the back as seen from Gell Street, the other is the patch of land left since the destruction.











The hospital was named after Thomas Jessop, a wealthy local steelworks-owner, who funded the £26,000 it cost to build the hospital. It was opened in 1878 to replace the old Sheffield Hospital for Women (which only had 9 beds).

5 Comments:

That is the chicken said...

My sister was born here too! What is it used for these days?

SDP said...

The remaining buildings are empty. The first smaller photo shows the back of them so you can see why they aren't in use :)

lucasdigital said...

Some cracking shots. A relative of mine used to manage the catering in the hospital, she was recently given a tour of the redeveloped section - apparently looking very swish...

Here's a shot I took while they knocked down the part that contained the offices - http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/386902240_0fd40c5609_m.jpg

Ilan said...

That's a great set. I especially enjoyed the first photo, it almost look 'timeless' as if taken 20-30 years ago (or more!)
Nicely done!

jelb said...

Bonjour,
nice serie..well done framing, sharpen..bravo!

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.