Tuesday 26 May 2009

Reminder of industries passed




The old Johnson & Appleyards HQ as seen from the top of Fargate.
As there was no post yesterday (Bank Holiday) I will be doing 2 today.
Since doing this blog I've been 'looking' more when walking to and from work. Just last week I looked up and saw something I'd never seen before. On this building - Yorkshire House, which is now home to H.L. Brown jewellers I noticed an engraving in the stone work. It states that the tenants of the building were Cabinet Makers 'By special appointment to H.R.H The Prince of Wales' - the older one, not Charles, as it's circa 1890. The company was Johnson & Appleyard.
As I'm just using my camera phone at the moment I couldn't take a good enough quality pic of the plaque, so I will follow this post up at some point with a nice close-up. For a good insight into Johnson & Appleyard visit this website.

2 Comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Looks like you have some good "scenery" on your way to work! Nice pictures. Keep up the good work. Kind regards from EAGAN daily photo in Minnesota, USA

Cabinet Makers said...

Nice Blog! Well most of your content and image is original and informative. /many thanks for sharing this, cheers.

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.