Tuesday 23 June 2009

In need of salvation


The old Salvation Army Citadel on Cross Burgess Street.
Built in 1890, the Salvation Army Citadel on Cross Burgess Street was the headquarters for the Sheffield Salvation Army right up until 1999 when it moved to Psalter Lane.
Many stories have been circulated about it's future use, main one being as a Buffalo Joe's restaurant, but it now seems to have been settled that it's in Sheffield's plans to further develop the surrounding area as a 'retail quarter'. A selection of minutes from a council meeting can be seen here.
I used to work very close to this building and have seen it slowly deteriorate, I'm glad it will eventually be saved as it's a marvellous looking building from all sides.

3 Comments:

Hilda said...

I'm glad too because I think it looks fantastic. Unique, at the very least.

Johnny said...

Wow!

Now THAT's a Citadel!

Great building

justme said...

I used to go there when it was the Savation Army. I have great memories there.

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.