Friday 5 June 2009

On the buses



An old Leyland PD3 at the top of Fargate.
I was just going into town on my lunch break and saw these big ol' buses at the top of Fargate. I'm by no means a bus spotter but as they're not usually there I thought I'd use them as today's photo.

There was a sign in the window that said the following about this particular bus:
This is a Roe bodied Leyland PD3 and was delivered to the Sheffield Transport Department in 1959, this vehicle mainly working on city suburban routes.
The buses were owned and maintained by the South Yorkshire Preservation Group, they keep the group going by donating money from their wages every week and hiring out the vehicles for weddings, day trips etc.

3 Comments:

Hilda said...

Cool! I haven't seen a double-decker bus in decades, and none at all like this.

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful!

Dina said...

Shalom SW.
Thanks for your comment(s) today :) .
Glad they gave me a path to your nice new blog. Have fun with it!

I remember Israel still had some Leyland buses in use when I moved here in 1968.
Jerusalem now has a doubledecker red tourist bus. We see it and always think London.

You know, I had to Google your blog to get here. Clicking on the SW in your comment took me to "Profile not available."

Shalom. See you again.

All photos © 2009 - 2016 Sheffield Daily Photo

Please leave a comment if you'd like to use any of them, thanks.